The village of Dangolsheim is perched on a hillside, with its highest point at 384 m, and has a population of around 750. The site was originally built on a Celtic road. In the early 5th century, the Romans chose the site as a strategic surveillance point for a waterway passing below. It was the Merovingians who had a major influence on the town?s development, and it was during this period, in the 8th century, that the first traces of vine cultivation were found on the hill, probably introduced by monks. More recently, the construction of casemates is notable, as is the "Feste Kaiser Wilhelm II", a giant fortress built between 1893 and 1917, the visitable part of which is located on the municipal territory.
Dangolsheim can be recognized from afar, with the church of St. Pancras enthroned on its hillside. The 16th-century washhouse is a remarkable site, particularly in view of the legend of the legionnaire, who is said to have heard noises from the galleries and to have seen a figure passing through the closed gate. Testimonies are unanimous: it was a Roman soldier stopping and greeting witnesses. Equally worth a visit are the old houses, testimony to local architecture. The world-famous statue of the Madonna of Dangolsheim, a 1.07 m high walnut wood sculpture dating from the 15th century, is on display in the Berlin Museum.
Dangolsheim has a dynamic community and economic life, offering a wide range of services. A small village with a big history!
Dangolsheim
Voir toutes les images