Surrounded on all sides by deep wooded valleys (over 100 m difference in height), the commune of Hinsbourg is a typical example of the clearing of the sandstone plateau ordered by the Counts of La Petite Pierre in 1617 as part of the repopulation of the region.
At the beginning of the 18th century, it was mainly Reformed settlers from Switzerland who were responsible for its development. This explains the presence of the small Helvetic crosses accompanying the county arms on the commune's coat of arms.