? HISTORY ?
A causeway has existed in Avénières since at least the 12th century. It controlled the operation of the Avénières or Verger mill on the right bank and the Chantelou mill on the left bank. It was fitted with a marinière gate after 1537. When the river was canalized, it was destroyed and replaced by a lock dam. The work was carried out to the plans of Dupuy, ingénieur ordinaire des Ponts et Chaussées, by Pierre Chaigneau, the Rennes-based contractor selected in the tender of August 12, 1859. The lock was opened to navigation in 1861. The dam was extended in 1869, following construction of the Quai Paul Boudet (on the left bank). The lockhouse bears the date 1861 on the lintel of the entrance door. It was enlarged at the end of the 20th century.
More info on www.pop.culture.gouv.fr | © Inventaire général - Foisneau Nicolas
?May?Gourde 53 ?
"May?Gourde 53", a new scheme launched by Mayenne Tourisme, enables tourists, visitors and local residents to fill their water bottles while out and about in the Mayenne region, at more than 43 professional outlets.
The aim is to help reduce the use of plastic bottles for more sustainable tourism.
The lock is part of this scheme, so you can stop off to refuel!
More info on www.mayenne-tourisme-pro.com/actualite-et-presse/actualites/maygourde53/