Portail neuf

On the Place de la République, the arch of the new gateway overhangs one of the most recent gates of the old town

Erected in 1607, it completed a system of openings in the rampart that included, up to that date, the town gate to the south (the seat of the town hall), the false gate to the east (no longer in existence), the postern in the rue de la Cité (destroyed in 1920, but of which some remains can be seen), and finally the breach known as the "vendanges" to the west (closed by the chapel of the penitents in 1609-1610)

The new gate was offered to the community by Jean-Baptiste I de Covet, in exchange for the transfer of the old false gate to enlarge his castle, as well as an important loan of money. Moreover, with this construction, he compensated the inhabitants of the district who were inconvenienced by the stagnation of water caused by the filling in of the northern ditch and the acquisition of the gardens that bordered it to move back the limit of the seigneurial property

The new gate was built on the site of a house owned by the Barrons, who were in joint ownership at the time

It opened up the town onto a small esplanade (today's Place de la République), then known as the "Pradin" or "Pradeau de la seigneurie". Jean-Baptiste de Covet entrusted the earthwork and construction to the mason Jean Davin, originally from Signes and settled in Trets where the baron had his first castle

The craftsman had already, from 1603 to 1605, completely restored the one in Marignane, which he had acquired in a sorry state. He kept the remains of the arch of the original house, still visible on the left of the portal, and launched an arch of ashlar perhaps originally furnished with battlements, in any case stipulated in the contract. The installation of hinges indicates that heavy wooden doors were used to close this gate, especially at night

This gate marks the beginning of the modern development of the village, now far from a place of entrenchment, which is crossed from side to side.

Source Patrick Varrot, art historian - February 2021

Portail neuf
Portail neuf
OT Marignane Sandrine Massel
Portail neuf
Portail neuf
Michel Méténier
Voir toutes les images
Portail neuf
Portail neuf
OT Marignane Sandrine Massel
Portail neuf
Portail neuf
Michel Méténier

Voici d'autres endroits similaires à proximité

Cours Mirabeau

Cours Mirabeau

Marignane
13700

The Cours Mirabeau is the main artery of the city center, along the castle of Covet, current City Hall. Pedestrian, it is conducive to walking.

Presbytère voute

Presbytère

Marignane
13700

Facing the side entrance of the church, the presbytery was known as a priory, cloister house or cloister since at least 1429. It cannot be visited

Ancienne école de filles

Ancienne école de filles

Marignane
13700

The former girls' school marks a true republican pole on the Cours Mirabeau, set up opposite the main entrance of the former seigniorial mansion, partially acquired as the town hall in 1892.

Voici d'autres endroits à proximité