Until the early Middle Ages, Widensolen was covered by the thick mantle of the Kastenwald forest, with its ponds and meandering Rhine. At the beginning of the 8th century, a noble farmer named Wido cleared some land in the forest and acquired an estate which he named widensola. On his death, the Wido estate belonged to a Benedictine monk named Fulrad. There is no mention of the village before 1321, but from 1360 it belonged to the monks of Pairis Abbey and remained so until the French Revolution.
Monuments : St Nicolas church with Callinet organ (19th c.), Maison bourgeoise (19th c.), Lourdes grotto, St Germain spring, botanical trail, town wall (18th c.), old mill