The village was established around ten centuries ago on the north-western edge of the Haguenau forest. In 1525, Laubach became the property of the bishopric of Speyer, then in 1685 to the Jesuits of Strasbourg and the major seminary until the French Revolution. During the Thirty Years' War, Laubach was devastated and remained uninhabited for 11 years. In 1796, the village became an autonomous municipality, but it wasn't until the 19th century that the inhabitants were able to buy back the land they farmed.